Tuesday 21 May 2013

No Reserves. No. Retreats. No Regrets.

Jane and I at Rievalux Abbey
     Things have been so busy and exciting here in Nunthorpe. I'm definitely enjoying the sun and vitamin D! 
     A few weeks ago, a woman from the youth group called Jane took me to the ruins of Rievalux Abbey about an hour away from here. It was wonderful to spend a day out in the sun and enjoy God's beautiful creation.
     Jane is also super crafty - the good kind of crafty. She's helped me with lots of craft things over the past 9 months. We've made purses/bags and Christmas wreaths, and now she's showed me how to make stained glass. Jane's been so encouraging and hospitable; she's the only one from the church here who has invited me over. I've loved spending time with her, making glass and talking about theology and spiritual things. 
     

Here are some of the stained glass pieces she's made.

     This lovely weather has also allowed us to go on a sponsored walk with our kids to raise money for the youth retreat while the UMHB team is here. It was a 7 mile hike up Roseberry Topping (technically a huge hill, but definitely seems more like a mountain to us Texans). I had such a great time hanging out with the youth and spending some time in the sun with them. I especially enjoyed chatting to a girl and her sister from our middle school youth group. We've had trouble engaging that group in the past few months; they've been very disrespectful and chaotic. But I had some wonderful conversations with this girl and learned that she really does enjoy the group and having me here in England, despite what she might say in youth group. It was a gorgeous day and great opportunity to spend some more time with these kids before I leave.

     I've also been encouraged a lot lately with the idea that light is best seen in extreme darkness. And that's where we're at now. But I pray that God's light will shine through this darkness and into the hearts of the young people and the leaders here. This has been my prayer over the last 9 months:

I pray that your hearts will be flooded with light so that you can understand the confident hope he has given to those he called—his holy people who are his rich and glorious inheritance."
-Ephesians 1:18

The group participating in the Sponsored Walk for Carlton

No comments:

Post a Comment