Tuesday 29 January 2013

Truth, as the Snow Falls

my road after the snow
     What is truth? How would you define it? And what things are absolute and what things could possibly have a little "wiggle room?" Can we really know if something is actually, 100% completely, without-a-doubt, true? This past week, I got in trouble with one of the church leaders/temporary vicar in the church here. As I always do before sharing a story from the Bible, I explained to my group of 4-8 year olds that the Bible is God's word. He inspired and told people what to write and it's 100% true and can be trusted. But later I was told by this church leader that I couldn't tell the kids this, because apparently it isn't true. Isn't true? 

     Sorry I'm not sorry, but if the Bible can't be trusted, what am I doing here? What are we all doing? Preaching from a word of make-believe and feel-good stories of the past? People, I'm not being a "naive, conservative, evangelical American," as some here have said. Unfortunately, this view of "taking the Bible at your own word" can be a pretty common practice in some Anglican churches. American churches are good at avoiding tough questions as we're often spoon-fed the Gospel and the Bible. But we can't take it in the complete opposite direction and ignore it! The Bible is relevant today, "living and active," Hebrews 4:12 tells us. But they say that Paul's letters and much of New Testament church doctrine can't be trusted. Excuse me? Let's look at that from another angle. We believe God is Sovereign, right? (If we don't, that's a whole other sad issue for another time) But if God is truly sovereign, would He really allow His Word to float around through the centuries with, not only a few typos - but huge theological errors such as this one, that only people with proper training and study could hope to understand? Did God pull a Brian Regan and say, "oops, I just meant it as a joke, but now they're all going out like that... oh well?" Doubt it. 

     2 Timothy 3:16 says that "all Scripture is God-breathed or inspired by God." Yes, all authority on Heaven and earth is given to Jesus, (Matthew 28:18) not Paul or any other apostle who wrote books in the New Testament. But even the four Gospels (including this verse) were written by Jesus' followers and not Jesus himself! So based on that premise, we couldn't even trust the Gospels! What's left that we can actually believe in and teach to others? 

     We're not meant to figure out God. Or understand His ways. We can't undercut the Bible just because it says things that don't make sense to us, are hard to believe, or that place boundaries and convictions in our lives. It's called #FAITH. If we only believe the part of the Bible we can understand, then we're pulling the majesty of God down to our level, a level humans can "get" so no one feels uncomfortable and we can all live happy lives of bliss in our own man-made religion. So we can worship ourselves. We can't just "pick and choose" the parts we want to believe and the parts we want to be true and then just disregard the rest! How arrogant to think we can know and understand the mind of God! 
     Needless to say, it's been a rather discouraging week but God has continuously reminded me of Matthew 10:
St Mary's Church in Nunthorpe
     "If any household or town refuses to welcome you or listen to your message, shake its dust from your feet as you leave. I tell you the truth, the wicked cities of Sodom and Gomorrah will be better off than such a town on the judgment day. Look, I am sending you out as sheep among wolves. So be as shrewd as snakes and harmless as doves. But beware! For you will be handed over to the courts and will be flogged with whips in the synagogues. You will stand trial before governors and kings because you are my followers. But this will be your opportunity to tell the rulers and other unbelievers about me. When you are arrested, don’t worry about how to respond or what to say. God will give you the right words at the right time. For it is not you who will be speaking—it will be the Spirit of your Father speaking through you." 
-Matthew 10:14-20

     This may sound a bit over-dramatic, I mean, these people are in the church. They're not really going to do anything to persecute me! And no, my safety isn't threatened. But I've been reminded this week of how Satan loves to screw things up, and loves starting inside the church. 
     I love the kids in the youth group, and I believe God will be calling many of them to Himself sometime in the future and I can't wait to see that unfold. But if this church (and other faith families around the world) aren't willing to change and actually stand for something...then man, judgment day is gonna be super rough. I know only God can melt their hearts. There's nothing I can say or no Bible verse I can throw at them to make them change their minds. Please pray for God to bring a hunger for His word and a longing for Him. Everything else is meaningless. And that's TRUTH. 

No comments:

Post a Comment