Wednesday 26 December 2012

An Unexpected Journey

     It's no secret. I love The Lord of the Rings trilogy film. Who doesn't? But The Hobbit - even better, in my opinion. I love Bilbo Baggins' story. Here's a guy who represents the average human being: living a quiet, comfortable, and somewhat uneventful life. But then Gandalf (much like the character of God) comes along. "I'm looking for someone to share in an adventure..." he says. He invites Bilbo on an incredible journey. Bilbo's life is suddenly bombarded with chaos, discomfort, but a little sense of mystery - and he gets a little curious. 
     Gandalf and the dwarves offer him the opportunity to join them on their quest. Bilbo counts the cost of such an endeavor and Gandalf tells him, "you'll have a tale or two to tell when you come back." 
     To which Bilbo responds, "can you promise that I will come back?"
     "No," Gandalf replies, "and if you do, you will not be the same." 
     Bilbo is hesitant, much like we are when God calls us to an uncomfortable journey. He actually declines the offer at first, but imagine what a boring story the Hobbit would be had he stayed at home! The story and the excitement of life begin when we step outside our door. 


Bilbo leaving his home in the Shire: "No time to talk. I'm going on an adventure!"

What an amazing opportunity God gives us to be involved in His ADVENTURE! Don't miss out! Stop just wondering what's on the other side...and GET OUT THERE! 

"Well done, my good and faithful servant. You have been faithful in handling this small amount, so now I will give you many more responsibilities. Let’s celebrate together! To those who use well what they are given, even more will be given, and they will have an abundance."


     Christmas was fun with my host parents from when I was here a few years ago. Such a blessing to get to spend the day and night with them! And I got to Skype my family at 2am on Christmas morning. YAY! And tomorrow morning I'm travelling to Poland for a week to visit my mom's college roommate and possibly learn more about Eastern European culture and human trafficking. Kind of a last minute plan, but when God invites us for an adventure, don't say "no!" :) 

     Merry Christmas and Feliz Navidad and Happy New Year to you and yours. May 2013 be a year of blessing and expected journeys! 

No comments:

Post a Comment